Logo Brouwerij Eugene Marres


The extended version in Dutch

Quelque pages sont en Français

Nederlandse vlag Belgische vlag Franse vlag Belgische vlag
Logo Valkenbrouwerij Marres
Genealogy Heraldry Genetics Prehistory Sitemap Contact
Tombstone Pau de Marres


The Dutch family Marres, of which one branch writes her name as Mares, is described here from the first historical mention in the year 1388 when the widow of the founder paid the hereditary annual tribute to the Hospice of Tongeren on account of possessions in the village Zussen near Maastricht.

In 1403 Johan Marres acquires the former manor of the knights of Boxberg in Zussen. In the neighboring village Heukelom in the Vroenhof county of Maastricht the family has two manorial farms that remain in the family until the 17th century.

As a citizen and fighter for the city Johan Marres deposited to the city of Maastricht an estimate of war damage after the war of Liege 1407-1408.

Business activities of the family from the Middle Ages on are discussed in Textile Industry and Textile Merchants. They are deans of guilds. Paul Marres is governor of the guild in 1416, 1421 and 1423. Johan Marres in 1457. In the year 1467 he becomes captain of the Maastricht civic guard.

A charter issued in 1523 by De Vroenhof, a Maastricht court, guaranteed tariff exemption for three Marres brothers, Matthijs, Jan and Reyner, for their business activities in Brabant. One of these brothers, Reyner, is the first common ancestor of two branches of this family Marres and Mares.

Reyner has two sons, Matthijs and Reyner. Two sons of Matthijs settle at the end of the sixteenth century in Maastricht. They started to spell their name consistent with a double rr, and became the heads of the family line Marres. Matthijs buys in 1591 at the Brussels Street a house named De Valck. This house remains in the family until 1722.

An other son or Reyner, named also Reyner after his father, settled in Val-Meer (now Belgium), and from him is descended the Mares line. Present members of this line settled later in the village Wolder near Maastricht.

Beginning in 1641, members of the Marres line were continually active in the Maastricht Brewer's Guild, in fourteen different Breweries until 1959 when the last brewery ceased to exist. The re-opening of a brewery in Dordrecht in 2008, for educational reasons, is pictured.

During the 19th century, business activities expanded into other industries, such as the saltworks and later the brickyard.

Beginning in the 17th century, several members of the family were active in the Roman Catholic Church as priest, monk, prior of a monastery, pastor, moral theologian, seminary professor, canon, and Papal chamberlain. By the end of the last century, most of the members of the family no longer participated in church life.

There have always been administrative activities such as alderman, city council member, sheriff, mayor; magistrates and judges of lower and higher courts, and judicial advisers; and diplomatic functions such as an envoy or ambassador.

Educational activities in secondary and higher education are described, such as director of a city college, principal of a high school, professors on the faculties of medical schools, law schools, and seminaries.

Sports activities and cultural institutions are treated.

The Marres genealogy, a description of the Mares branch, and genealogies of related family lines can be found with pictures of seals and coats of arms.

The quarters of the Marres-Pekelharing couple legitimately goes back, on both sides, to Saint Arnoldus, the patron saint of brewers. In addition, there are several digressions regarding interesting facts about directly related families.

Attention is given to persons who worked in their factories.

There are descriptions of the sometimes very special archeological discoveries from Roman times, uncovered during restoration of their houses in the historical section of Maastricht, and from prehistoric times in their quarry at Belvédère in Caberg.

The origin of the Dutch Marres family is studied using genetic genealogy. The family belongs to the Y-DNA clade G-FGC6669 which originated in the Mesolithic probably in the Levant around 11.000 years ago and entered Europe in the beginning of the Neolithic.

These clade split around the year 500 in three branches, one created the Marres family, the second the Walloon family Nolet and the third the Flemish family Slootmaekers.

Accountability is given in footnotes and a list of primary sources.

Charter Marres, de dato 8 augustus 1526




Steen Mares 1791


Uithangbord brouwerij Michel Marres




Zoutziederij - schoolplaat


De Steenfabriek Belvédère in aanbouw in 1908

Stone factory



Marres vier 1932




Broederschap Sinte Berb Maastricht


gildepenning Maastrichtse brouwersgilde uit 1771


Zegel en handtekening van Elisabeth Busco-Marres uit 1760




Zegel Pau de Marres uit 1701


Her gezin van Michiel Adriaensz de Ruyter




Boekenplankje in het archief


Het Groote Groene hert


last updated:

English translation: Miriam Jo Dunham
All faults are in my later additions

Webmaster: Eugène called Boed Marres